Consensus comes easily to many family or friend groups simply because of a huge foundation of trust. We must trust that others genuinely care for the good of the group and our needs. Consensus is substantially more efficient when not every interested person must join every conversation, but when some can communicate their views to others and trust that their views will be represented and considered by the deciding group.
Some concrete steps to build?
- Start with simple exchanges where the cost of betrayal is low.
- Offer equal access to information and privileges.
- Invest in employees
- Be open and honest with your motives.
- Be humble and own your errors
- Create your life in alignment with your values, giving you freedom, power, and possibility in each moment.
- Below are some articles on Trust from University of California Berkeley’s research center.