- Break the decision into smaller pieces.
- Return to empathy. Allow for sadness, regret, remorse, frustration, to be fully and understood in multiple ways before problem solving.
- Identify the assumptions, needs, and beliefs underlying the issue. Consider if a deeper problem exists. Find the heart of the matter.
- Consider the meaning of our words. Probe behind vague language, bucket words, or should statements.
- Take a short break. Enjoy an energizing activity or a cup of tea.
- Take a longer break: hours, days, perhaps weeks
- Harness willingness. What might you support to meet the needs of others?
- Play the Believing and Doubting Game
- Bring in a facilitator
- Separate observations (what a video camera could record) from our evaluations, judgments, or assumption behind them.